iPhone 3g Going Strong!
I'm often asked what makes the iPhone so special? Why pay more for a phone AND switch to AT&T in the process? Why use an Apple computer with your iPhone? Why, why, why??
Let me try to answer. There are three primary reasons for the iPhone's success:
1) It's beautiful and things look beautiful on it: (e. g. photos, movies, e-mail, Internet, applications)
2) It works well. The user interface is simple, intuitive and fast.
3) It's so popular that developers from all over the world are coming up with applications that do almost everything your desktop computer will do and sometimes even more.
In addition, in typical Apple fashion each version of the iPhone (version 3 is due in June) gets better. Lastly, even though the iPhone will work with a Windows computer syncing with a powerful Mac really lets this mini computer shine and live up to its full potential.
As a special bonus I'm going to list some of the iPhone apps I use on a daily basis. This is just screen one of my applications and I have five screens of apps!
1) GMail - This takes me directly to my GMail inbox and works great with even a slow Internet connection (some areas are still 2g speeds)
2) Google - This takes me to all the Google web-based apps: Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Talk, Tasks, Reader, Goog-411, News.
3) Colorsplash - This allows me to edit photos and make portions color while leaving the rest black and white. This is a great way to make a person stand out from the background. (sample)
4) Camera - For taking photos and hopefully in the next iPhone videos.
5) Photogene - For cropping and color tuning photos.
6) Darkslide - For viewing flickr photos and uploading photos to flickr or twitter.
7) Evernote - For remembering anything: text, audio, photos. Also syncs with my Mac.
8) Weather - Check the weather for various locations.
9) Notes - Another note application.
10) Tweetie - Allows the management of multiple twitter accounts.
11) Flashlight - Light when and where you need it.
12) Photos - Access photos you sync from your computer or those you take with the iPhone.
13) 12seconds - Post 12 second recordings to your 12seconds.tv account. (uses three photos and audio you record to put together something that almost looks like a video)
14) Clock - Time in multiple time zones, alarms, stopwatch, countdown timer.
15) TWiT.am - Listen to twit programming.
16) Stocks - Follow the stock market.